Saturday, March 17, 2007

Someone to Watch Over Me

Someone To Watch Over Me

There are so many things I miss about my dog, Sammy. You know what I mean. But one of the things I miss the most is he was my protector and watch dog. Take what just happened, for instance. The UPS man delivered a package to my backdoor. When he knocked, I jumped about ten feet. I didn’t hear his truck idling in the street or his footsteps in the garage despite the house and back door windows being open.

I could always count on Sam to sound the alarm if someone or something foreign stepped foot on our property. Even though he only weighed ten pounds his bark let you know he was capable of tearing you limb from limb.

It’s in moments like these that I miss him the most. I’m made acutely aware of how really alone I am when I’m home by myself. I don’t feel quite as safe as I used to because with Sammy here I was never really alone. As the days and months have passed, I’ve adjusted to that aloness, or so I tell myself. Only until the UPS man comes knocking again.

My warmest regards,

Gina

No comments: