Thursday, March 8, 2007

Life Lessons 102

Life Lessons 102

Not long ago, I phoned a good friend of mine only to find out he was waiting for the veterinarian to arrive at his home to euthanize his ten-year-old lab, Casper. Casper had been suffering for some time with terminal cancer. Sadly, less than a year before, they had to unexpectedly euthanize Casper’s brother, Ace, due to a sudden illness.

I remember when they told us about Ace’s sudden illness and untimely death. I expressed my sympathy for their loss but didn’t really feel it. My pets were healthy at that time and I had never dealt with the loss of a pet.

What a difference a year makes! I would have never believed we would be faced with that same painful decision and now I understood. Really understood. It is a pain like no other.

Dealing with the death of one beloved pet is traumatic enough, but two in one year? My heart ached for them. It brought back a rush of painful memories and emotions.

It’s been almost a year since we said goodbye to our dog, Sammy, and I still grieve for him and miss him. The pain has subsided and time has afforded me some perspective on his death. There will always be a special place for him in my heart and memory.

I’m so grateful I had ten great years with him. Pets will teach you a lot about yourself and life if you’re open to those lessons. The most important lesson, I believe, our beloved animal companions teach us is about love. Not any old love, but unconditional love, the rarest kind of all.

My warmest regards,

Gina

No comments: